We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Originally I had made these veggie wraps on accident. I was just throwing things together trying to ultimately make a wrap of some sort. They turned out SO good though and now we have made them a few times and tried to tweak them but the original version has been the best. We tried the pita pockets instead of the tortilla wrap and it was good it was just very messy in comparison.
Start out by preheating the oven to 400 degrees.
Drain your tofu and cut into strips. Line them up on a baking sheet and very lightly coat or spray with olive oil so they will crisp up. Sprinkle garlic salt over the top of the tofu.
Toss them into the oven and bake them for 20 minutes. Check them at 20 and if they need more time to crisp up a little then leave them in and check every two minutes or so until they are at your preferred texture.
Next, cut the corn from the cob, (You can also use frozen corn here if you need to.) Sautee the corn in a skillet until it is roasted. Add salt and pepper to your taste preferences.
At the same time that the corn is roasting, heat your black beans in a pot for a few minutes to heat them through.
Chop up your preferred greens. I used romaine lettuce but use what you like.
Next you will want to spread your beet hummus on your wrap or a pita pocket if you choose that route. If you are using a pita pocket keep in mind that they are very fragile and rip in places you do not want them to. This was the primary reason I preferred the wrap. The pita was just so messy.
Next assemble the wrap or pockets. Place the tofu on top of the hummus, then add the black beans, corn. bell pepper, and lettuce. (I used sun dried tomato wraps the first time around.)
Bake the assembled wraps until they crisp. Mine took about five minutes but watch them because ovens differ and the last thing you want if a burnt wrap.
Above is how the pita pocket looked when it was all finished.
Here is the recipe version.
- Preferred wrap or pita pockets
- Beet hummus
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 package of tofu
- 1 bell pepper
- Romaine lettuce for topping
- Garlic salt
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut tofu into strips. Line up on a baking sheet and sprinkle with garlic salt. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cut the corn from the cob and sauté in a skillet with a small amount of oil. Sauté for a few minutes until roasted.
- Heat up the black beans in a pot until hot through.
- Chop the bel pepper and romaine lettuce.
- Spread the beet hummus on your wrap or pita pocket.
- Assemble your wrap/pocket but placing the tofu, bell pepper, corn, black beans, and lettuce. Wrap your wrap.
- Bake for five minutes until it is crisp.