We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Peanut Sesame Lettuce Wraps
There are thousands of vegan lettuce wraps recipes out there. I have tried quite a few of them. This recipe is something I kind of threw together with absolutely no idea how it would taste and I ended up really liking it and I hope you give it a try too.
How to Make
Start by draining for tofu really well. Sometimes you can get away with not getting most of the liquid out. But, if you want it to soak up the marinade sauce better, then I say really give this step the attention it deserves.
Throw all the marinade sauce ingredients (sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, maple syrup, peanut butter, and hot sauce) into a bowl and whisk them together until combined. Set this aside.
Next you will want to chop your tofu, I went for a more whimsical triangle option to keep life interesting.
Toss the tofu in the bowl of marinade sauce and cover it. Put it in the fridge for 15 minutes to an hour.
In the meantime, you can chop the bell pepper and the peanuts as well as peel a carrot into thin slices.
When your tofu is done absorbing the marinade sauce, use a slotted spoon to remove the tofu from the marinade sauce. Keep the leftover liquid!
In a large pan or wok, heat up a tiny amount of oil and then sauté the tofu until it starts to crisp up. Then add in the bell pepper and carrots.
Continue to stir until the veggies are cooked. Then add in the sesame seeds and chopped peanuts. Stir in the remained liquid from the marinade sauce.
Wash and prepare your lettuce cups and then spoon the tofu mixture over and enjoy!
What if you….
Don’t really like lettuce wraps? Try my tofu fried rice recipe instead.
- Lettuce cups
- 1 Package extra firm tofu (chopped)
- 1 Bell pepper (diced)
- 1 Carrot (sliced thinly)
- Peanuts (roughly chopped)
- Sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 tbsp hot sauce of your choice
- Whisk together sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, maple syrup, peanut butter, and hot sauce until combined.
- Cut the tofu. Let tofu marinate in the sauce mixture for 15-60 minutes.
- Remove tofu from the marinade sauce reserving the liquid. Sauté the tofu until it starts to crisp up.
- Add in the bell pepper and carrots. Sauté until soft.
- Add in the peanuts, sesame seeds, and leftover sauce mixture. Stir to combine.
- Serve in a lettuce cup and enjoy.