We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
This Green Veggie Bowl is a super easy, fairly quick meal to put together and it makes four servings so there is a leftover option.
Like most people, I feel really heathy when my plate (or in this case
bowl) is mostly green. You really can’t go wrong when you are eating veggies.
When I was a kid I thought brussels sprouts were the strangest thing ever but I have grown to really love them and I tend to incorporate them into my food maybe a little too often.
Really all you need to do is chop of the veggies and toss them in the oven. Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees.
Chop off the ugly hard butts of the asparagus and spread them across a baking sheet.
I tend to half or quarter my brussels sprouts depending on how big they are.
I diced the zucchini into small pieces. I only used one zucchini but should have used two as it didn’t yield much. I baked these two on one baking sheet together because it fit there, no special reason other than that.
I did bake my kale, but I wish I hadn’t. I originally intended to steam it, I got a little carried away with roasting everything. The kale bakes down into a very crisp texture that pretty much disintegrates in your mouth. If you like crisp then do it this way, or try the steamed way for a more chewable and genuine kale flavor.
While the veggies roast, prepare your rice. You can also substitute quinoa for rice here. Or you could make both and mix them together to get the best of both worlds.
To assemble these bowls, lay the veggies over a bed of rice.
I added some leftover avocado sauce I had in the fridge. Choose any sauce you want or use the sauce I did.
To make the avocado sauce toss all the ingredients into a food processor and blend together into you get a smooth consistency.
Use as much as you like but I would recommend portioning this cautiously. My fiancee added quite a lot to his and admitted that he would have enjoyed the bowl more if he had used less.
Green Veggie Bowl
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 zuchinis
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 2 cups asparagus
- 16 oz of brussels sprouts
- 1 bunch of kale
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 ripe avocados
- Juice of 2 limes
- Cilantro (optional)
- 1 small jalapeño (seeds removed)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Cut off the hard ends of the asparagus, halve or quarter the brussels sprouts, and dice the zucchini. Spread all the veggies across a baking sheet or multiple baking sheets.
- Remove the kale leaves from the hard stem and place in a separate baking sheet.
- Season veggies if desired.
- Roast the asparagus, brussels sprouts, and zucchini in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Roast the kale for 15, flipping once during.
- While the veggies roast, prepare your rice by combining 1 cup uncooked rice with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Assemble the bowls by laying the veggies over a bed of rice. Makes four servings.
- Optional: Top with Avocado Sauce. Blend all sauce ingredients in a food processor until creamy and smooth.